As parents, we both welcome and dread the day our teenagers become licensed drivers: we welcome their new independence while fearing for their lives every time they turn the key in the ignition. And with good reason. Teenage accidents in cars are responsible for more deaths in this age group than any other cause.
Teenage Driving Facts and Statistics
- Every year around 5000 young people ages 16 to 20 die in car accidents and another 400,000 are seriously injured. This age group has four times the average number of car crashes.
- Teenagers represent 10 percent of the population but 12 percent of the car wrecks. Teenage boys are one-and-a-half times more likely to die in a car accident than teenage girls.
- The risk of a crash is highest in the first year after the teen receives a driver’s license.
Reasons for Teenage Accidents
Studies have shown that teenagers are more likely to underestimate the dangers associated with driving, and they take unnecessary chances. For example:
- Teens are more likely to speed and tailgate.
- Teens have the lowest rate of seatbelt use of any group.
- 23 percent of teens who die in car crashes have blood alcohol counts of .08 or higher.
- 34 percent of teens text while driving
If you or a member of your family has been seriously injured in an accident involving a teenage driver and have questions that need answers, you will want to read Clearwater, Florida car accident attorney Jim Dodson’s consumer guide Five Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case.
Need answers now? Send a personal email to Jim. He will get back to you with a quick response, and he never shares your information.
We represent personal injury and accident victims in Florida in these cities:
Clearwater, Clearwater Beach, Tarpon Springs, Dunedin, Largo, Oldsmar, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, Pinellas Park, Seminole, Belleair, Belleair Bluffs, Belleair Shores,Treasure Island, Redington Beach, Madeira Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Crystal Beach, Ozona, Bradenton, Palmetto, Sarasota, Lakewood Ranch, Ellenton, Kenneth City, South Pasadena, St. Petersburg Beach, Tierra Verde, New Port Richey, Port Richey, Hudson, Bayonet Point, Holiday, Land O’Lakes, Lutz, Odessa, Tampa, Temple Terrace, Dade City, Sebring, Wesley Chapel, Pinellas County, Pasco County, Hillsborough County, Manatee County, and all other cities in Florida and Florida Counties.
Our primary office location is in Clearwater, however we meet clients at our satellite offices or a convenient location at or near your home.